Sunday, February 16, 2014

Power in Weakness

Well... the new chemo kicked my butt this week.  I am looking at it as a good thing because feeling achy and miserable means that something is at work.  One positive, my shoulder felt better right away, and I have not had any major incidents of horrible pain in that area. 

It is really hard for me to be down and unable to do anything but sleep.  I am the ultimate multi-tasker.  Lethargy is a horrible feeling because I can't muster the energy to do even simple things, and it is during these times Satan works on me and starts getting ideas in my head that things won't improve.  I am in a constant fight mentally of fending off negative feelings and replacing them with God's truths and promises.

This morning I was praying and asking God to give me energy.  I told Him how frustrated I am to be doing nothing.  Even posting on my Blog is a huge effort.  I went downstairs and took a quick look at my phone.  My friend, Cindy, told me to read today's Jesus Calling Devotional.  This is what it said:

Thank me for the conditions that are requiring you to be still.  Do not spoil these quiet hours by wishing them away, waiting impatiently to be active again.  Some of the greatest works in My kingdom have been done from sick beds and prison cells.  Instead of resenting the limitations of a weakened body, search for My way in the midst of these very circumstances.  Limitations can be liberating when your strongest desire is living close to Me.

Quietness and trust enhance your awareness of My presence with you.  Do not despise these simple ways of serving me.  Although you feel cut off from the activity of the world, your quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms.  My strength and power show themselves most effective in weakness.

Wow!  That one was for me.  I have to say that with every fiber of my being, I don't want to accept it, but I know in my soul that these words are God speaking to me, and I need to obey and trust in God's Word. 

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  2 Corinthians 12:9

I need to accept this time of quiet and rest.  I understand that God can work even in these down times that are so hard for an active person like me.  I am so thankful that I have a God that loves me so much that He interacts with me in powerful ways.  He has not been silent during this time, and His power is being shown through my weakness.

Love to all,
Sandy

P.S.  I want to give a shout out to the best Valentine ever.  Jon is my rock and best friend, and  I am so thankful for his love and tenderness. He does laundry, dishes, and anything that will help me not be stressed.  I can't imagine a better partner!!