Saturday, April 26, 2014

Where Is God When We Struggle?

“Suddenly, their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And at that moment he disappeared!” (Luke 24:31 NLT)

There are days when I sit and wonder what God is doing.  I wonder what He is working on that very moment that I may be a part of at some point.  I feel as if this is a very powerful time of prayer not only by people who are really good at going to the cross for another, but by people who don't normally pray but feel drawn to talk to God on my behalf.  I know that God is at work in ways I can't begin to imagine, but sometimes my days are rather quiet and I wish He would give me a little sign to clue me in on what He is thinking.

I am sure that you have wondered where God was during a struggle.  You and I are not alone.  Imagine the disciples who traveled with him for three years and thought they knew Jesus was the Messiah, but now he is dead.  On the very first Easter morning, right after Jesus’ Crucifixion, the disciples are walking and talking and trying to make sense of the last few days.  In Luke 24 we read that they had heard reports that Jesus’ grave was empty. They were very confused.

Suddenly Jesus himself came alongside the disciples and joined them in their journey. Yet they were in so much grief, they didn’t notice him. Jesus asked about what they were discussing, and so the disciples let him in on the discussion. Jesus went on to share Old Testament passages that explained the events of the past few days.

That night, as they ate dinner with Jesus, the Bible says that “Suddenly, their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And at that moment he disappeared!” Luke 24:31 (NLT)
Imagine what that experience was like for these disciples. The guy they thought was God was crucified and dead. Then they hear he’s been resurrected, but they don’t believe it. Then a stranger walks along the road with them, eats with them, and suddenly they realize that it’s God himself! And then he disappears.

The disciples couldn’t see Jesus in their grief. They needed God to show himself to them. I need God to show himself to me.  However, deep inside I know that my God would never leave me.  I know He is walking (no, carrying) me through this pain.  Though I don't see miracles yet, it does not mean they are not on their way.  There is a rumble that has started, and it is growing.  God will show up, and it will be powerful.  Our prayers do not come back empty because we have a God who truly loves us.  I have complete confidence and peace because of God's Word.

This week I took another step backward with a blood clot in my right arm.  I was kinda hoping not to have to deal with one more thing.  The radiation of the liver was discussed and tabled for now.  It would be really hard on me and I don't want to make things harder during a time of celebrations with graduation coming up.  We are still waiting for the biopsy result.  Chemo is knocking me into a lethargic state, so pray for more energy.  My blood count was good, so maybe chemo is helping.

In talking with God yesterday, I realized I am right where I always have wanted to be.  Entirely dependent on Him, my life in His hands, not relying on medical technology but His mercy.  Percentages are low when you don't have God on your side.  Fortunately, either way I have a good ending.  I know who has my life in His hands, and I am certain that I will be with God if healing does not occur.  We never know the number of our days, but it is good to have such great insurance.

I hope those last words ring in your ears.  If you have never accepted Jesus officially into your heart, please look at the prayer I posted in the sidebar.  It can be prayed at anytime between you and God.  Some people do their duty and go to church on special days, acknowledge that Jesus was real, believe in a God... but have never truly asked Jesus into their heart.  Don't miss this moment. 

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  John 14:16

 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.
John 3:16-21

I hope you pray the prayer,
Sandy


                   .