Sunday, September 21, 2014

Happy Birthday Sandy! We love you and miss you!

Sometimes when I go for a run I really struggle.  Maybe it's the heat?  Maybe I'm coming down with something?  Maybe it's the distance?  For some reason, some days are just tough.  (And as I get older, I'm having more of those tough running days!)  On those days, somewhere along the run, I tell myself that I'm going to just run to the next street light or telephone pole and then stop.  Once I get there, I tell myself that I can make it to the next one - and for sure I'm going to stop there.  And so it goes.  Often I can trick myself that way into finishing the entire run.  Sometimes I can't.  Sandy made it to a lot of telephone poles in the 7 years.  Two important ones were the girl's Graduations this year, and our family vacation to Hawaii.  A pole she couldn't get to was her Birthday, and it's been hard on our family this weekend.   

Today would have been Sandy's 50th Birthday - it was a milestone she wanted to get to so that we could have a celebration, and another opportunity to talk with people about Jesus Christ.  God had other plans, but we had the celebration of her life anyway at her service, and almost 900 of you showed up to honor her race.  Thank you for being there, and for the prayers, love, and support you have shown my family - it's been incredible!  I can't even begin to thank everyone for the help I've received, not just in putting on her service, but in all of the little things since.  The meals have been fantastic!  It really does take a village, and this village has blown me away - time and time again!  I honestly don't know how people get through this without their faith, and without the support system I have in place with my family, friends, and Allstate family.   

Everyone wants to know how we are?  The truth is, because of all of the love, support and prayers, we really are doing pretty well.  I'm sure I'm going through some depression.  How do I know?  I find myself listening to Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond - two entertainers Sandy loved, but me not so much!  I guess I'd better up the St. John's Wort?!  I know people mean well, but I get the same text a lot.  "How r u?"  I'm tempted to text back, "D press D", but I don't.  LOL  We did have a fantastic event with the La Verne Girls Softball Association yesterday.  They organized a blood drive on Sandy's behalf for The City of Hope, and had the Bloodmobile at the field.  A special thank you to everyone who took time out of their Saturday to come out!  There is also a "Sandy Strong" Breast Cancer Banner hanging on the field, (Thank you Kris & Lori Martin - you continue to go above and beyond....) and the girls have the same logo on their jerseys this fall.  Also - a wonderful woman in our neighborhood is putting together a Bible Study based on Sandy's Blog.  (Maybe more on that the next time I post?)  I'm humbled by things like this, and I'm sure Sandy would feel the same way.  It just points to the difference she continues to make. 

I know a lot of you have wanted to get together this weekend to make sure I'm ok, and I appreciate that.  I'm sorry, but I just haven't had the energy for it - blame it on being a pint low.....CS Lewis really described it well - it's like walking around with a minor concussion.  He hit the nail on the head.  (No pun intended.)  You are functioning, just not at your best.

I did want to close with something from Sandy's service that was so good I wanted to make sure everyone saw it - or saw it again.  It was written by Sandy's step brother Jim's wife, Jolee. 


Exactly how long did we think we could keep her from Him.

When her name was called, we cried out NO!!! Not yet! We are not done with her!

We still need her love, her guidance, her physical being sitting in a chair

How long did we think she could suffer?

Once her name had been called

How graceful was her own plea, for her children’s sake.

But once He wants you back, one has to go.

How could we think we could hide her from Him with chemicals and pills?

How selfish we were when He called her name.

She is His child after all.

We were blinded by our love for her.

Addicted to the being that she had become.

Never wanting to let her go.

It was Him that made her the being that we loved.

It was her love of Him that made here shine the way she did.

That glow is what we loved the most.

She had a physical beauty it is true.

Even after the chemicals stripped her of her golden hair.

It was that love of Him that kept her beautiful through all the pain she had to endure.

How could we think we could keep her from His plan?

Her mission?

Their reunion?

In His grace and wisdom we had Seven years to prepare ourselves for her departure.

And now she has gone Home,

An Angel in Heaven watching over us,

Knowing everything and feeling no pain!

ONLY LOVE.... 


Jolee Ann Mauricio Goodridge


Happy Birthday Sandy!